Formal Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor ,


I am Chua Yong Keat, a year 1 student in civil engineering. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in civil engineering in 2020. My interest in civil engineering started from secondary school under the influence of my father who is a site manager in civil engineering. He pushed me into thinking about why buildings can stand tall with such peculiar designs such as The Interlace. This sparked my inner passion in pursuing civil engineering and started my studies in polytechnic. 


My hobbies are bowling and socializing with friends. I have always been willing to try something new and different as I believe that life is too short to be able to experience everything and challenge myself to do something that is out of my comfort zone. 


One of my assets in communication skills is explaining. When explaining a concept to someone, I would consider the personality of the person to decide which method of explaining could suit them and prepare multiple methods of explaining. This allows me to explain a concept differently to different people to cater to their knowledge and understanding level.  I have a shortcoming of not being able to express what I want. I often struggle with report writing because of my poor vocabulary and inappropriate word usage that cause my friends to misunderstand my intentions. 


Throughout this module, I hope to improve on my expression as I believe being able to express myself clearly is very important in the workforce to improve human relations with people and think effectively so that when I encounter difficult situations, I will be able to answer it to the best of my abilities instead of giving a bad answer.



Regards,

Chua Yong Keat


Comments

  1. Hi Yong Keat, thank you for sharing more about yourself! I enjoy bowling as well. I am sure this module will be able to help you improve on being more expressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Timothy, thank you for your comments and hope that you can improve as well through this module

      Delete
  2. Hi Yong Keat, thanks for sharing more about yourself ! I am sure that you can overcome your weaknesses in report writing and be able to express yourself better after attending this module. Maybe we can spend go for a bowling session together to know each other better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Galven, thank you for your comments hope to be able to bowl with you in the future!

      Delete
  3. Hi Yong Keat, thanks for sharing more about yourself, it was a very interesting read. I felt that generally your points were very clearly conveyed and hit all the requirements of the task. The topics were also organized properly and were very coherent in my opinion. Good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Yong Keat,

    Thank you for this detailed letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate the rich content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective way you have organized your thoughts and the good language use.

    You've done a fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a fairly clear understanding of who you are. I especially like the reference to your interest in CVE from young thanks to your father's job. You also do a good job enumerating the needs you have in terms of comm skills development.

    Finally, I appreciate this statement:
    "...life is too short to be able to experience everything and (I) challenge myself to do something that is out of my comfort zone."

    Keep up that attitude and you will go far.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of Communication skills for engineers

Critical Reflection